Here is great research (FULL LINK) regarding ozone and how it combats gum disease:
"The application of ozone in dentistry comes as a result of physicochemical properties: There are several known actions of ozone on human body, such as immunostimulating and analgesic, antihypoxic and detoxicating, antimicrobial, bioenergetic and biosynthetic (activation of the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, lipids) etc. 
1. Antimicrobial effect- Ozone works destructively against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. The antimicrobial effect of ozone is a result of its action on cells by damaging its cytoplasmic membrane due to ozonolysis of dual bonds and also ozone-induced modification of intracellular contents (oxidation of proteins loss of organelle function) because of secondary oxidants effects. This action is non-specific and selective to microbial cells; it does not damage human body cells because of their major antioxidative ability. Ozone is very efficient in antibiotics resistant strains. Its antimicrobial activity increases in liquid environment of the acidic pH. In viral infections, the ozone action lies in the intolerance of infected cells to peroxides and change of activity of reverse transcriptase, which takes part in the synthesis of viral proteins.  Being a very strong oxidant it joins with biomolecules containing cysteine, cysteine, methionine, histidine (all being part of bacterial cell membranes. The main targets of their attack are the thiol groups of the amino acid cysteine. As a result of the reaction of ozone with unsaturated fatty acids of a lipid sheath of a virus the lipid sheath of a virus melts. The research shows that a few-second-application of ozone stops all vital functions of bacteria which are incapable of developing any self-immunity to its action. Gram+ (Gram-positive) bacteria are more sensitive to the action of ozone than Gram– (Gram-negative) bacteria. Oxygen-free bacteria react with ozone as well. Among cariogenic bacteria streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus are the most sensitive. Ozone easily acts on multi unsaturated fatty acids which occur in virus sheaths. Ozone reacts also with ascorbinians and tocopherols. 
2. Immunostimulating Effect- Ozone influences cellular and humoral immune system. It stimulates proliferation of immunocompetent cells and synthesis of immunoglobulins. It also activates function of macrophages and increases the sensitivity of micro-organisms to phagocytosis.  As a response to this activation through ozone, the body's immune cells produce special messengers called cytokines. These molecules, in turn, activate other immune cells, setting off a cascade of positive change throughout the immune system, which is stimulated to resist diseases. This means that the application of medical ozone is extremely useful for immune activation in patients with a low immune status and/or immune deficit.  Ozone causes the synthesis of biologically active substances such as interleukins, leukotrienes, and prostaglandins which is beneficial in reducing inflammation and wound healing.  Ozone in high concentration causes immunodepressive effect whereas in its low concentration immunostimulating effect. 
3. Antihypoxic effect- Ozone brings about the rise of pO2 in tissues and improves transportation of oxygen in the blood, which results in a change of cellular metabolism – activation of aerobic processes (glycolysis, Krebs cycle, β-oxidation of fatty acids) and use of energetic resources. Repeating low doses of ozone activate enzymes: super-oxide dismutases, catalases, dehydrogenase, and glutatione peroxidases. They are part of complex enzymatic systems which protect organisms against the action of oxygen-free radicals. It also prevents the formation of erythrocytes aggregates and increases their contact surface for oxygen transportation. Its ability to stimulate the circulation is used in the treatment of circulatory disorders and makes it valuable in the revitalizing organic functions.  Ozone improves the metabolism of inflamed tissues by increasing their oxygenation and reducing local inflammatory processes. By changing the cell membrane structure of erythrocytes and causing the increase of its negative charge it influences the structure change as well as blood cell elasticity. This, in consequence, reduces blood cell rolling and enables blood flow in capillary vessels. By increasing the concentration of 2,3 Diphosphoglycerate (2,3-DPG), ozone changes the configuration of erythrocytes, which enables them to return oxygen in the inflamed tissue. 
4. Biosynthetic Effect- It activates mechanisms of protein synthesis, increases the amount of ribosomes and mitochondria in cells. These changes on the cellular level explain elevation of functional activity and regeneration potential of tissues and organs. 
5. Ozone causes secretion of vasodilators such as NO, which is responsible for dilatation of arterioles and venules.  It also activates angiogenesis. 
6. Ozone, when acting on the organic substance of mineralized tooth tissues intensifies their remineralization potential. At the same time, it is capable of “opening” dentinal tubules, which enables the diffusion of calcium and phosphorus ions to the deeper layers of carious cavities. 
A high concentration of ozone kills bacteria very quickly and is thousand times more powerful than other bacterial killing agents. The average concentration of ozone used in treatments is 25 gm of ozone per milliliter of oxygen/ozone gas mixture that translates into 0.25 parts of ozone to 99.75 parts of oxygen. Evidence-based research has shown that at this concentration, ozone effectively kills bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites.  As an antimicrobial agent, it is a powerful oxidizer at a dramatically lower concentration than chlorine with none of the toxic side effects. One molecule of ozone is equal to between 3,000 to 10,000 molecules of chlorine and it kills pathogenic organisms 3,500 times faster.  Studies have revealed that it only takes 10 sec to kill 99 % of bacteria, fungi, and viruses.  It can oxidize many organic compounds and it is a powerful germicide.  Some of the other effects are the circulatory enhancement, disruption of tumor metabolism and stimulation of oxygen metabolism. 
According to most authors, a 10-sec-application of ozone causes the destruction of 99% of bacteria, and a 20-sec-application even of 99.9%. In this way, so-called ecological niche appears.
However, it is not conducive to their repeated colonization within 4 to 6 weeks. [14,15] Ozone is not toxic when it is given in the amount of 0.05 ppm for 8 hours. During ozone therapy, a maximum concentration of ozone in oral cavity amounts to 0.01 ppm."
To view the references, refer to the link at the top of the page for the original content. I've read other studies that concur with the findings listed here, some even finding that ozone kills simple celled viruses and bacteria in as little as 2-3 seconds. Bottom line, the more you know, the more you realize that you and everyone else should be taking advantage of this incredible molecule known as ozone on a daily basis, and enjoying the benefits.
Comments will be approved before showing up.